Archeological excavations show, that first residents of Pieksämäki area cultivated those grounds in river`s estuary already 7000 years ago. Area, which was situated on the hill, was rising up fast and soon the edges of glacier move to the North, giving a space to the earth. Pieksämäki became a part of western cost of the Arctic Ocean. Hunters and fish men liked this place, because it was successfully situated on the cross of 3 reservoirs. According to researches, history of Pieksämäki began more than 5000 years ago. Officially Pieksämäki was organized on 26.7.1547, when Swedish king Juhana III signed a documents about it`s establishment. Pieksämäki area was directed by church parish. Besides Pieksämäki, the same parish directed by Rautalampi, Suonenjoki, Leppävirta, Joroinen, Kangasniemi, and Hankasalmi. In 2014 Pieksämäki became 440 years old. On the place, where was first area`s administration, nowadays is situated priest`s home, where Sylvi Kekkonen was born. Today it is the oldest valid priest`s home in Eastern Finland, it is 210 years old.
Savo railroad, built in 1889, changed the region a bit, but really important modifications came, when the short road to Savonlinna appeared her. When all it`s ways started to be exploited, Pieksämäki became one of the most important railway stations in Finland. Local resident Abel Häyrinen strived for the railroad to go through Pieksämäki. Moreover, he presented big areas of own earth to his native region, that`s why the town`s center nowadays goes through his former property.
The meaning of Pieksämäki as one of the central railway stations grew in war time – 1939 – 1944. Front`s service was organized through the local railroad. Pieksämäki was used as a reserve headquarters of war command and as a storage of materials for the front. War aerodrome and big camp for war prisoners also increased the meaning of the town. After the war the distributive routes of former Karelia`s residents have gone through Pieksämäki, that`s why area`s population has grown more than twice.
Besides, at the same time Finnish Evangelic-Lutheran church`s department moved in Pieksämäki, and it created here 600 new work places. After peace was established, here also appeared area`s department of Finnish state railroad, it`s engineering service and depot. The railroad`s territory grew on 6-7 km, and way`s length – almost till 100 km. Pieksämäki started to be famous as a big railway station. We don`t have to forget about the role of light industry and traditional education in area`s developing.
The church parish, situated on the Pieksänharju hill and the new railway station were united into settlement in 1930. And in 1962 Pieksämäki became a town. In 2007 local municipality decided to organize a commune, which included also Jäppilä and Virtasalmi. Pieksämäki is a well-projected town, which plan was made by Otto-Iivari Meurman. One of the main symbols of the town is a water tower. The picture of the town is added well by parks and green plantations. Walking roads near the lake Pieksäjärvi is a very good place of rest for town`s residents. The town is continued by village landscapes.
- Haapakosken Ruukki
Tel. +358400 282 906/ Jari Väänänen
- Iso-Pappila (the culture vicarage Sylvi)
Tel. +35850 361 0772
A Gustavian style vicarage building (built 1800-1804, renovated in 1846, 1886 and 1965). Sylvin kamari room exhibition, regional attic museum, old books cabinet, antiquarian bookshop and art workshop, summer café Ruustinna, courses and summer theatre, changing art exhibitions, historical presentations.
- Kanttila (a municipal service centre)
Reservations: +35815 788 2111
(Built 1988, Jouni Koiso-Kanttila)
The office part of the building serves the people as a municipal service centre, while the multifunction part is divided into the Kanttila hall, an exhibition space, a café and a socializing space. It also houses a library and a community college. The Kanttila hall is an elegant meeting and congress room with about 260 seats.
- Kulttuurikeskus Poleeni (cultural centre)
(Built 1989, Arkkitehdit Ky / K.V. Gullichsen – E. Kairamo – T. Vormala)
This building won the Year’s Best Concrete Structure awarded by the Uusi Suomi newspaper in 1989 and the Vuoden Miljööpalkinto (Year’s best milieu) also in 1989. Two conference spaces: a 342 seat theatre/concert hall/cinema, which is also suited for congresses, and a smaller room for 65 persons (divisible into two rooms for 35 persons each). Additionally, there is exhibition space, a library, café, cellar theatre, small meeting room and the Lippupalvelu nationwide ticket service. Catering for conferences can be arranged from the Poleeni café Tel. +358440 481 062.
Accommondation, conference spaces and programme services: +35845 660 1553 / Esko Sinkkonen
Catering and celebrations: Nikkarila’s kitchen
Tel. +35840 028 2494
Different size conference and meeting rooms for groups. Catering by prior order. Also accommondation for groups maximum 100 persons. Regular and beach saunas and also a smoked sauna.
- Pieksämäki Keskuskoulu (central school)
Keskuskoulu (central school) was completed in 1929 as a three story building designed by A.E. Eränen. The fourth story was added in 1947 according to plans by Martti Välikangas. In 1983, a complete renovation was overseen by Leena Muoniovaara of the Pieksämäki municipal technical office. The central school is am example of the classicism prevalent in the 1920s.
- Savon radan museo (Railway Museum)
Tel. +35840 184 5772
+35840 5710891 or +35844 3883 413
Museum in facebook
Open in summer 2019 4.6.-4.8. Tu-Fr klo 11 am-5 pm, Sa 11 am-3 pm, Su 12 am-4 pm
- Sisälähetysseuran museo (The Church Training Colledge´s Museum)
Huvilakatu 31 (Building A)
Information: the College’s office, tel. +35840 350 9150
Open by appointment only. The museum introduces The Colledge´s work starting from its organization in Sortavala, deacons´ and deaconesses´ studying during more than hundred years.
- Vanha kaupungintalo (the old town hall)
Originally designed by Valter and Ivar Thomén in 1918 as the office of the Pohjoismaiden osakepankki bank. Renovated in 1984 (by Kirsti and Egil Nordin), it served as the town hall of Pieksämäki until the town hall was completed in 1973.
- Vanha rautatieasema (old railway station)
Type drawing by Knut Nylander in 1889, extension by Bruno Granholm in 1902. Station building built according to Oulu railway class IV type drawing no. 2. During summers, the building houses the Savon Radan museum, which offers a glimpse into the world of steam railway engines and tells a lively story about the work and life of previous generations at the railways. The most important object in the museum is the old station house, in which the museum is housed. The Savon rata railway line opened for traffic between Kouvola and Kuopio on 1 October 1889, and on the same day a hundred years later, this museum was opened to the public. The basic exhibition contains almost 300 objects and about 100 photographs. The small station keeper’s room is now a video room, in which you can watch short videos about the railway. The outdoor area of the museum holds two restored steam engines.
- Virtasalmen Perinnepuisto (the Virtasalmi tradition park)
The first project completed by Virtasalmen matkailun kehittäjät ry (tourism developers association for Virtasalmi) was the Virtasalmen Perinnepuisto (the Virtasalmi tradition park), which was inaugurated in September 2004. The tradition park is located in the centre of Virtasalmi on the old church hill. It presents miniature versions of five important buildings or environments: the old wooden church of Virtasalmi, the Tiiasmäki windmill, the Virtasalmi grain mill, the Ankele mill and the Joenpolvi manor and its yard. A wrought iron gate leads the visitor into the tradition park, where an informative sign presents the history of these buildings, the genus of the perennials growing there and notes on the funding of the park. The tradition park is open around the year and entry is free.